Wednesday 28 November 2012

Carrot Basmati Rice

This rice is so delicious; it would pair well with stir fry or any type of Asian inspired dish! I really like the roasted peanuts in it - adds a nice crunch :) I first served it with Grilled Marinated Salmon (the ginger and sesame oil of the salmon compliment it nicely), and then we used the leftovers to make egg fried rice to go with our stir fry last night! My husband  and I LOVED it!




Ingredients

  • 1 cup basmati rice
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 roasted peanuts (I just chopped regular peanuts up and browned them in a hot, dry pan)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • salt to taste
  • 1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • chopped fresh cilantro (I just used a tiny bit)

Directions

Combine rice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid, and allow to steam until tender, about 20 minutes.

While rice is cooking, chop the peanuts, and brown in frying pan. Set aside.

Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned golden brown about 10 minutes. Stir in ginger, carrots, and salt to taste. Reduce heat to low and cover to steam 5 minutes. Stir in cayenne pepper and peanuts. When rice is done, add it to skillet and stir gently to combine with other ingredients. Garnish with chopped cilantro.

Simple! I love it.. One of my favourite rice recipes so far.. Thanks again to Allrecipes.com :)

No comments:

Post a Comment